Saturday 7 August 2010

Congratulations to Clare and Malcolm on the birth of Jasmine

Just to let you know how the birth went . . . . . .I spent as much

time at home as possible. We were the only ones in Bracken (luckily).

The midwife who I think you know - the one who is knowledgable about

aromatherepy - Jane was with us (along with a student) for

the first shift overnight and then Jill took over the following

morning with another student. Jane was more laid back and was fine

about me not wanting any internals etc but Jill was much more time

conscious and as soon as she came on shift basically said that she

accepted I didn't want to have an internal examination but that I

should know it was difficult for her to know at what stage I was at if

I didn't!! She also checked more frequently the baby's heart rate.

After being at Bracken from 11.30 pm on the Tuesday night at about 10

am on the Wednesday I had a really strong desire that I needed to empty

my bowels - I had already done this earlier on and felt that it was

probably what was holding things up. I went with Malcolm to use the

toilet (just off the room with the birthing pool) and after a while

Jill came into the birthing pool room and said that she was going to

deliver the baby and that she didn't mind where she did it - even if it

was in the toilet! I realised later of course that the desire to empty

my bowels was in fact the baby!?! The bean bag I had been using and

cushions were then brought into the pool room and Malcolm suggested

that I go in the pool for a while - they filled the pool up and I went

in. It felt lovely and in this position Jill was able to establish

that I was fully dilated. Unfortunately, I think the water meant my

contractions slowed down - I was in the pool for about 1 1/2 hours. I

got out and went back into the original room I had been in. Jill once

again expressed concern that she felt she really needed to do an

internal examination to see what was 'holding things up'. I agreed as

I was feeling very tired by this stage. She established that the

baby's head was slightly turned so we then tried squats and also used

the birthing chair. As things still did not progress we then

transferred to the room with the bed in it and I climbed on and put my

legs in the stirrups. I felt utterly exhausted at this stage but it

was not long until they could see the head. Jill encouraged me to use

the vocalising effort internally in order to help with the pushing. I

did this as much as possible and eventually birthed the head. I put my

hand down and could feel her head and a lot of hair and a mirror was

brought in so I could see her. It was incredible. One last effort and

she was born. We didn't know the sex but discovered together and were

delighted. Jasmine was placed straight on my chest as I had requested

in my birth plan and I felt really tearful and so happy.

I used my birth ball a lot and found the breathing techniques excellent and did lots of vocalising too!

Malcolm was a fantastic support. I spent a night in Bracken ward which

was really nice as there was only one other new mum on the ward so it

was really peaceful. We came home the following day.

It took me a couple of weeks to get to grips properly with

breastfeeding. I even went back into Bracken ward (when Jasmine was

about a week old) and Jane spent a couple of hours chatting to us and

giving me lots of encouragement (which is I think what I really needed)

and confirmed that I was feeding well and that Jasmine's latch was

fine. I am really pleased that I have perserved with it because it's

fine now.

I just want to say a massive thank you. I gained a great deal from

the Monday evening classes and really valued all your knowledge, advice

and input. I really feel that the birth experience I had was excellent

and I feel that is down in the main to the classes and your teaching.

Also, Malcolm and I really enjoyed the couple workshop in Exeter and feel that it prepared us well for the birth experience.

Jasmine is an absolute joy to have and we are over the moon.

Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment