Monday 14 February 2011

Karen's water birth to Elfie Joy

Dear Patricia
Elfie Joy was born on Thursday 6th January - she was 4 days overdue and weighed 7lb 11oz.
As predicted, my labour was short and this time without any intervention.
Elfie was born in the water at 10.39 am. I woke up at 6.30 am and was feeling a bit uncomfortable, was having regular, serious contractions by about 8.00 am, arrived in the labour ward in Exeter at about 10.00 and managed to get into the pool at about 10.35 having been examined and found to be fully dilated (really just in time!) - 3 good pushes and it was all done. I managed with breathing and my tens machine and did not require any stitches. We did request delayed cord clamping which was fine, I ended up not having a natural third stage as we were still waiting an hour after the birth and the midwife was keen to see the placenta so we went with the injection (after the threat of a catheter to empty my bladder!) I was discharged the same day.
All in all I could not have asked for a better birth experience and the water birth was lovely. I know that the yoga had a positive effect on the whole thing, particularly the breathing so thanks very much.
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment